Destination Brisbane Consortium has this week (Jan 1) taken possession of the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane development site to begin demolition and enabling works on its AUD$3 billion integrated resort.
The developer, Destination Brisbane Consortium, is a joint venture between lead partner The Star Entertainment Group and its two Hong Kong-based partners, Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and Far East Consortium.
The Star Entertainment Group CEO and Managing Director, Matt Bekier, said the site takeover marked a fresh beginning for Brisbane and an exciting future for the Queensland economy.
“Today marks a new year, new changes to our CBD streets, and a new facelift for Brisbane as the city begins its long-anticipated transformation,” he said.
“With an expected opening in 2022, this development will put Brisbane on the map as a tourism, leisure, and entertainment destination, attracting an extra 1.39 million visitors to the city each year.
“In the interim, we know it will be a long and complex build and we want to thank the people of Brisbane in advance for their patience as our consortium begins the demolition and enabling works and will continue to keep them regularly informed.”
Destination Brisbane Consortium Project Director, Simon Crooks, said the hand-over represented a significant milestone for the project team.
“Last year, we worked on our detailed design and planning and now we can finally take over the site, with the first step involving our demolition and enabling works contractor safely hoarding the site,” Crooks said.
“We have been and will continue to work closely with the state government, Brisbane City Council, and TransLink to manage any impacts on motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists.
“Meanwhile, we are committed to keeping the community well-informed during construction and our recently refreshed website now allows users to subscribe to receive free regular updates.”
As part of the demolition and enabling works, Crooks said people will initially see the contractor secure the site for safety with mesh fencing that will then be replaced with permanent timber hoarding, which will remain throughout construction.
“The hoarding will be followed by the gradual safe demolition of the three non-heritage buildings, located at 80 George St, 100 George St, and the Neville Bonner building at 75 William St,” he said.
“The demolition of each building will take place brick by brick, floor by floor as the safety of workers, motorists, pedestrians, cyclists, and the surrounding heritage buildings will be of the highest importance.
“All nine heritage buildings and two heritage parks will remain in our development, and be beautifully restored and repurposed into a range of cultural, retail, dining, hotel entertainment, and tourist attraction spaces.”
Bekier said the economic benefits of Queen’s Wharf Brisbane will be significant to Queensland, including 2000 jobs at peak construction in 2020/21, and 8000 jobs once open and fully operational.
“More than a year ago, our consortium entered into contractual agreements with the state government in which it committed to some very clear priorities to use contractors that support local jobs; local training and apprenticeships; Indigenous participation; local suppliers; and to enforce the highest level of health and safety standards for its people,” he said.
“Further, the state government has a rigorous oversight process in place to monitor compliance of these commitments.
“Quite simply, our consortium’s focus is on jobs for Queenslanders and working with organisations who share that vision,” Bekier said.