Injured: Vorasit Issara
Injured: Vorasit Issara


Hollywood star, Jeremy Renner, taking time off from shooting ‘The Bourne Legacy’ was out drinking with friends late into the night during a recent visit to Phuket.

Part of Renner’s entourage included a young local ‘rising star’, Wan Vorasit Issara, General Manager of the much-praised Sri panwa resort.

According to reports, the 31-year-old Vorasit dropped a glass on the floor of the Rachada Pub in Phoonpol about 4.30am Wednesday January 4, sparking a violent altercation with staff. Renner and his minders apparently left as soon as the affray began although some reports say he sustained minor injuries during his escape.

Vorasit, however, was set upon by six of the bar’s staff sustaining serious injuries including stab wounds to the stomach and deep lacerations to the neck from a homemade ‘battleaxe’ fashioned from a motorcycle brake disc.

Vorasit has hosted Australian travel media previously and clearly made an impression on his guests. Australian Gourmet Traveller listed Sri Panwa at #75 in their 2010 Top 100, calling it the ‘coolest place to party in Phuket’. In the report, Vorasit is described by veteran Australian travel journalist, Kendall Hill, as “a very generous host” and “exceptional cook”.

Vorasit remains in hospital with serious wounds to the stomach and partially severed neck tendons. He also suffered bruises to his entire body.

A spokesperson for Sri panwa told HM Vorasit was “doing very well and showing signs of a fast recovery”. Understandably the resort was not being drawn into any further comment as Renner’s publicist has already issued a statement saying the Hollywood star “was not injured or involved”, a claim at odds with the police report. However, the UK newspaper, The Sun, quotes Vorasit as saying: “We pushed Jeremy to safety as soon as the fight broke out.”

Rachada Pub owner Sawat Prueksakij, has reportedly apologised personally to Vorasit, vowing to assist police in their investigation. “We have had some conflicts before, and we have a strict policy of ensuring that people entering the pub are of legal age and are not carrying weapons, but we have never had staff harming patrons,” Sawat said to Phuket News reporter, Warisa Temram, today.

Six Rachada Pub staff have since been arrested and charged with attempted murder while the venue, which was open after official closing time, has been shut pending further investigations.