New Zealand’s Prime Minister and Minister of Tourism John Key is delighted with today’s (Aug 21) figures showing a record three million visitors came to New Zealand in the past year.
“This is a huge milestone for an industry that continues to excel and is a testament to that hard work and the fantastic New Zealand experience offered to those who visit our shores,” Key says.
Key says that in the year ending July 2015, those 3,002,982 visitors, 7 per cent more than last year, also spent a total of $8.7 billion – up 28 per cent on the previous 12 months.
“So today we have more people coming to New Zealand than ever, spending more and staying for longer, helping boost our economy and creating more jobs and opportunities for New Zealanders,” he says.
Key says New Zealand is benefiting hugely as a result.
Tourism was directly responsible for 94,100 jobs within the industry and supported a further 72,700 in the year to March 2014.
“Tourism is great for the regions as well. In that same year, nearly half of the $7.16 billion spent by international visitors was spent outside the major cities,” Key says.
“Already, tourism is our second-largest export earner and the industry continues to go from strength to strength.
“I have every confidence that with the lower New Zealand dollar, the hard work of our tourism operators, New Zealand’s reputation as a world-class tourism destination and the unparalleled experience our visitors enjoy, the best times for the industry remain ahead.
“This Government has already invested an unprecedented $600m in tourism and tourism promotion as part of our plan build a diversified and robust economy.
“We will continue to work alongside the industry to build on this success,” he says.