TripAdvisor’s latest wellness survey has revealed nearly a third of travellers surveyed planned to take a trip dedicated to rejuvenating their body, mind or spirit at the beginning of 2013.
Of those travelling, the most popular places to stay are a hotel (40%), a holiday rental (15%) and a B&B or Inn (8%).
“Our survey shows that for nearly a third of travellers, the beginning of a new year is a chance to recharge their batteries with a rejuvenation trip,” said TripAdvisor spokesperson Jean Ow-Yeong.
More than 1500 Australian travellers were involved in the survey during mid-December 2012 and the results were released at the same time as the top 10 hotel spas in the South Pacific.
Top 10 Hotel Spas in the South Pacific:
1. Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
2. Hayman Great Barrier Reef – Hayman Island, Australia
3. InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa – Sigatoka, Fiji
4. Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji – Sigatoka, Fiji
5. The Langham, Sydney – Sydney, Australia
6. Likuliku Lagoon Resort – Malolo Island, Fiji
7. Park Hyatt Melbourne – Melbourne, Australia
8. Pullman Auckland – Auckland, New Zealand
9. Crown Metropol Melbourne – Melbourne, Australia
10. The Langham Auckland – Auckland, New Zealand
As determined by TripAdvisor, the list above is based on the most highly rated hotel spas according to the quality and quantity of TripAdvisor traveller reviews and to qualify, a hotel was required to have a minimum four-star classification.